Saturday, February 5, 2011

Winter is killing me...

Boy, I cannot wait for winter to be over, or at least to be sent somewhere where I can get my fishin fix. Fortunately, I'll be in Houston this month, and I plan on taking my 8wt. to Galveston Bay... the specks and redfish spawn and run this time of year, especially around Bolivar Point. Using a fly rod in Galveston Bay can be challenging, due to the winds that blow almost all the time. I have found that horizontal casting parallel and close to the water works for those long casts needed. Clouser minnow in blue/white, chartreuse/white and gray/white tend to work well. I have caught fish on small fly spoons, with a touch of hair as a tail. Baitfish are the key. Hopefully, the birds will help me find a fish or two. Good luck this winter season with your fishing.
keep your rod bent...ed

No comments:

Post a Comment